Local and National News Feature Jason M. Highsmith, MD, FACS
- Trident Medical Center Performs First Spectra Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant In United States
“This device is the most technologically advanced implant available today for the control of chronic pain,” said Dr. Highsmith.
- Back Pain Ruining Sex Lives
“Doctors understand that you want to continue your normal life in the midst of back pain.” Dr. Jason Highsmith emphasizes speaking with your doctor about how to adjust activities to accommodate back pain.
- World-class Olympic Athletes Struggle with Back Pain
Read Jason M. Highsmith’s expert opinion on this subject.
- SpineScan—Implications of the SPORT Study
Spine professionals and patients alike are interested in the results of the SPORT Study. Here, Dr. Highsmith reports on the research on operative and non-operative spine care.
- Degenerative Disc Disease on SpineUniverse.com
This patient-friendly article written by Dr. Highsmith, explains degenerative disc disease.
- 6 Doctor-Recommended Remedies for Back Pain
When you first feel pain should you apply a cold compress or a heating pad? Jason M. Highsmith, MD provides the answer.
- Women’s cures for back pain from specialist Jason Highsmith, MD
Learn about types of conditions that contribute to back pain and are exclusive to women.
- Professional Advice for Back Pain from Dr. Jason Highsmith
Are you one of the millions of Americans who suffer from back pain regularly? Dr. Jason Highsmith, a specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of back pain addresses questions on the topic.
- The Skeptical Radiology Nurse
This patient case study features one of Jason M. Highsmith’s patients. She is a 49-year-old radiology nurse who had battled chronic low back pain for years. The case includes her pre- and post-treatment images, and outcome.
- Botox for Back Pain
Dr. Highsmith explains “how” Botox may help ease back pain.
- New Procedure Helps Prevent Recurrent Disc Herniations
Did you know that with traditional surgery to treat a herniated disc there is a 15% chance the herniation will recur? Dr. Highsmith explains why this can happen, and discusses a new procedure called Annular Disc Repair.
- Six Doctor-Recommended Remedies for Back Pain
When back pain develops, a cold compress is a good choice for first-line at-home therapy. Dr. Highsmith explains when to switch to heat and why.
- Dr. Helen Boasts about Dr. Highsmith’s New Book
Read Dr. Helen’s comments about The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Back Pain.
- Severe Back Pain? Artificial Disc Replacement Could Be For You
In this issue of the Spine Care Guide, neurosurgeon Jason Highsmith, MD discusses disc arthroplasty performed in a patient. The alternative surgical procedure was spinal fusion. Here, Dr. Highsmith reviews the pros and cons of disc replacements.
- Save Your Spine: Top 10 Tips for Avoiding the Misery
Jason M. Highsmith, MD, a neurosurgeon who specializes in minimally invasive spine surgery, reveals the primary red flags that could indicate serious injury.
- Dr. Jason Highsmith Performed First Precision Spectra Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant
This article appeared in Becker’s ASC Review, an online journal for medical professionals.
- Sweet Relief
After several years in and out of the hospital for a painful foot injury, this 16-year-old teenager is pleased to report “sweet relief” from disabling pain. Thanks to Dr. Jason Highsmith’s expertise in spinal cord stimulation, she is now up and about regaining activities she enjoys with her pain under control.
- Local doctor pens guide to easing, preventing back pain among men and women
Dr. Highsmith shares 14 important points about back pain, prevention and treatment tips from his new book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Back Pain.
- Lowcountry patients find back pain relief through cutting-edge surgery
Spinal cord stimulation—”It’s an option for patients who have tried nearly every other avenue to ease their back pain,” Dr. Highsmith said.
- Artificial cervical disks are starting to turn some heads
New high-tech implants could replace spinal fusion surgery
“At Trident Medical Center, neurosurgeons Drs. Joseph Marzluff and Jason Highsmith are participating in a trial for another type of disk, the Secure C disk made by Globus Medical.”
- New Spine Procedure Helps Prevent Recurrent Disc Herniations
Jason M. Highsmith, MD pioneers a new technique to treat disc herniation at Trident Medical Center. See page 18.